Baron
Baron
XBL: Kardon74
Alt. Name: Kardon74

Star Wars The Old Republic

Unread post by Lanarchy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Server - Canderous Ordo
Side - Sith

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once I got a hand of my character, it became time to complete some tasks. Like any other MMO, missions tend to follow traditional paths: go to this place, kill these things, collect these things, talk to these people, etc. The Old Republic doesn't necessarily break this mold, but it does offer interesting takes on these missions. Almost every mission is integrated into the story, and most offer opportunities for conversations with characters. They often end in either positive or snarky commentary from your character, influencing the light/dark dichotomy.

Many of the early missions for my Consular required me to head out and deal with the problematic Flesh Eaters, pink bulky things that have a taste for padawons. My Master Yuon Parr would see that I performed up to my expectations. Additionally, I would be tasked with finding ancient holograms of the original Jedi founders and even collect the hilt of the very first lightsaber. That alone was enthralling, but assisting a nearby colony of pilgrim Twi'leks with Flesh Eater and disease problems, becoming integrated into their religious culture, assisting new padawans, proved to be a whole lot more interesting. My favorite mission required me to snoop on some romantically-inclined padawons. Lie for them, and they'll pass on a rare lightsaber crystal, as well as send you down the path of the dark side. Rat them out, and besides pissing them off, you'll be rewarded with a boost to the light side of goodie-twoshoes. An easy decision to make, I exploited it for all that it was worth, gaining a crystal, lying to a Jedi, and generally acting like a jerk. It felt great, and many of the missions can be performed like this. For an origin world, Tython is surprisingly large, and the Bioware reps were proud to say that these origin worlds are nowhere near as large as later planets.
The game does branch off from other MMOs in a couple of ways. First of all, the companion characters seem to be more than just pets. There are at least five unique companions to each class, and they will fight alongside players with basic commands dictating how they act. The Consular class, for example, has a large lizard man equivalent to a scaly wookie, but other companions ranged from other humans to R2-D2-esque droid.

Remember, companions are very important to the game. Besides fighting alongside your character, they'll do other menial tasks such as collecting resources, forging items, or going out on diplomatic missions. Even the ones not currently being used on a planet will be based on the player's ship, performing passive duties while the player works on the ground. It's a pretty fantastic way of dealing with many of the classical MMO elements without becoming a drag on the action.

The more I read about this game, the more I want to play it!

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Re: Star Wars The Old Republic

Unread post by Lanarchy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm

New Class revealed
Trooper
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwars ... o/6285803/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight
XBL: Blacktwin
PSN: Greentwin

Unread post by Blacktwin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Looks good. can't wait.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

kerovick
Squire
Squire

Unread post by kerovick » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:03 am

Interested.

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 pm

http://swtor.com/news/news-article/20110114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Starship Creation

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Not only can you gather resources yourself, but companion characters in the field can be ordered to take care of the task. Companions stationed on your ship can also be sent on gathering missions, freeing you and your active companion up for action. Gathering missions will even continue while you’re offline – the ultimate in efficiency!
Players can issue crafting orders to up to five companions at a time, and each companion can add up to five crafting tasks to their queue. You can cancel crafting progress from anywhere if you need to, and the resources your companions were using will be returned to you. Your crafting queues will even continue to progress if you have to go offline – when you log back on, you’ll receive any items that were completed while you were gone.

Your companions all have different skills and personalities, and their strengths carry over into the Crew Skills system. Some companions are better suited to particular Crew Skills than others. We revealed recently that Vette is an excellent Treasure Hunter; that means she’ll have a bonus when performing Treasure Hunting missions. Companion traits in Crew Skills are designed to be story-appropriate and meaningful, but the bonuses aren’t designed to be so extreme that you’ll feel you only have one companion choice for a given task.

Companions are much more than just a block of stats to be ordered around, of course. In true role-playing fashion, what your companions think about you will affect how motivated they are to work for you. Companions with high affection will have their ability to perform crafting tasks greatly improved. For example, a companion with high affection can craft items faster – this becomes really significant when crafting tasks can take hours or even up to a day to complete!
It’s worth noting that players will definitely need to be directly involved in the process when learning rare schematics, and that Lightsabers aren’t acquired or assembled via the Crew Skills system. We’ll have more details on this later.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Sounds like fun. i will command my companions to harvest gold while i'm in my shipping using emotes.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 pm

http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/flashpoints" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Band together with your most trusted allies to undertake some of the most dangerous missions in the galaxy! Flashpoints are action-packed, story-driven adventures that test a group of players to their limits, putting them up against difficult foes in volatile situations. You and your group need your wits, your skills, and all your resources to emerge victorious. Every Flashpoint begins with an exciting story and contains difficult decisions – choose carefully, because your group’s choices have a meaningful impact on the challenges you’ll face, the enemies you’ll fight, and the outcome of the story! All the danger is certainly worthwhile; the rewards from Flashpoints are some of the most powerful you’ll find.
Every Flashpoint takes a group of Imperial or Republic players through its own self-contained adventure, culminating in one of several outcomes based on player choices. You won’t have to miss out on any of the story, though – Flashpoints exist in specially instanced parts of the galaxy and can be repeated as often as you’d like. Flashpoints feature enemies that require skill and cooperation to defeat, and are much more challenging than single-player missions, but they offer valuable loot and rewards. Gather up your allies and get ready for explosive multiplayer action in Flashpoints!
Flashpoints appear to be like instances in other games. Self contained area with bosses/quests for just you and/or party members

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:13 pm

I was just reading this on the other tab. STILL can't wait for this game.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop
PSN: Radiae
Alt. Name: Corey

Unread post by Zathu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm

I will be all over this game.

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:07 am

http://swtor.com/news/blog/20110204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is a Flashpoint?

A Flashpoint is a galactic crisis, something so threatening that even the most stalwart heroes must bring allies. The Death Star was a Flashpoint. Luke and Obi-wan spent a few minutes LFG in the Mos Eisley Cantina where they enlisted the aid of Han Solo and Chewbacca. Together, they infiltrated a moon-sized battle station to rescue Princess Leia. Things didn't go quite as they expected; difficult choices were made along the way. That's a Flashpoint in a nutshell.

In game terms, a Flashpoint is a challenging, cooperative mission that takes place entirely within an instance, which only your group can enter. While adventuring, you’ll be alerted to a crisis developing somewhere in the galaxy. That’s when you know it’s time to contact some friends and buckle up for an epic battle.
Think of the Death Star – Luke and his friends didn’t wander around aimlessly shooting Imperials. They had a plan: rescue the princess, deactivate the tractor beam, and escape in the Millennium Falcon. Of course, things didn’t go quite as planned. They had to deal with a legion of Stormtroopers and a dianoga in the garbage compactor. Before they could escape, Obi-Wan was killed in a confrontation with Vader. Maybe next time you won’t split the party, Kenobi.
What sets Flashpoints apart?

If you're familiar with other massively-multiplayer games, you've probably run a ‘dungeon’ or two. Ever found yourself wondering, “What am I doing here?” or “Why the blazes am I fighting these green guys?” Has it ever felt like a glorified slot machine? Is your screen filled with so many numbers that you forget you’re supposed to be having fun? Our goal is to make sure that never happens.

We also have to contend with your incredible class story. In Star Wars: The Old Republic, you come to closely identify with your character. You should never feel like a cog in a loot-generation machine – you’re a champion of the Sith or a hero of the Republic. You’ve got a number of very urgent missions, and we want Flashpoints to be worthy of your time and attention.

At the end of a Flashpoint, you’ll have more than just shiny new items – you’ll have developed your character. You’ll have the satisfaction of righting wrongs (or wronging rights). And to top it off, you’ll have learned something about your friends (“You seem more evil today. Are you evil?”).

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: IC Nephron
PSN: NepHron-

Unread post by Nephron » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 pm

HEARD IT ALL BEFORE IN DARKFALL.

But Aventurine isn't Bioware, so I'm still hoping thats how the game works out.
:)
wat

kerovick
Squire
Squire

Unread post by kerovick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Darkfall....

Never heard of it

Justler
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: Justler6

Unread post by Justler » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:15 pm

it's the second coming of MMOs dont you know.

It's ridiculous that after all this time (4+ years), nothing has come out that is close to being as popular as world of warcraft.

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:36 pm

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/03/st ... lass-video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bounty Hunter Movie

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153371p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IGN: How do you go about designing specific missions for the Bounty Hunter class? What types of objectives, goals and narrative framing is important to get right?

Erickson: The Bounty Hunter is his own man and always needs space to stretch out, so as much as possible missions take you into situations you won't see with other classes. Conflicts with authority figures on both sides, stand offs with other individualists, and, of course, the epic chase are all important parts of designing a Bounty Hunter story. For tone and texture we look a great deal at classic Westerns: a man, a gun and a world (galaxy) of trouble.
IGN: What are the signature skills?

Zoeller: The Mercenary Bounty Hunter focuses on missiles and staying at range from enemies. Devastating attacks like Heatseeker and Fusion Missile and Rail Shot make the Mercenary a sight to behold on the Battlefield. The Powertech Bounty Hunter specializes in flamethrowers and close range attacks. Attacks like Flame Burst, Flame Sweep as well as the jetpack-assisted Rocket Punch are some of the signature moves of this advanced class.
IGN: What is the Bounty Hunter's resource that's drawn upon to activate special skills?

Zoeller : The Bounty Hunter is always trying to manage the heat generated by active armor and weapon systems. As abilities are used heat is generated that naturally dissipates over time, although in a non-linear fashion. Overheating shuts down access to the more powerful abilities, so proper heat management is vital for the skilled Bounty Hunter.

Not all of the Bounty Hunter's abilities are constrained by heat of course and there are some emergency abilities that allow quick venting of heat when needed.