ArcheAge

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron
XBL: Kardon74
Alt. Name: Kardon74

Re: ArcheAge

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:32 pm

And... what does the game look like when it's about to crash, and not loading textures properly? Minecraft.

[imgur]https://imgur.com/a/zNkuW[/imgur]

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: IC Nephron
PSN: NepHron-

Unread post by Nephron » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:57 pm

I subbed, Patron access for 1 month for 14.99. Queue is dramatically shorter as a patron, about 45 mins when starting at 6:30pm. Last weekend proved I'll be playing this for a while. I think I put like 20 hours in. :twisted:

I'm level 27, my character is an AOE monster, and I just got my first battle pet. Its not like a pet in WOW or other MMOs where it can tank for you and/or do massive damage. This one just adds a little bit more damage and can heal itself. Think of it as a persistent DOT.

Last night, I was helping a guy try to tow his boat in to town. A boat that you can get pretty early is a harpoon boat. From a river, you can harpoon on land and pull yourself along on otherwise unpassable terrain. Then this guy harpooned another player driving a steam tractor who towed him in. Eventually we broke physics, harpooned the clouds and pulled ourselves up in the air, and the boat bugged out and de-spawned.

kewl story bro, I know. But this was hilarious in the moment and an experience that couldn't happen in any other MMO.

Marc on the other hand is crafting everything and is actually out leveling me. Shannan just made a character on our server. It might be challenging for anyone else to join us now as some races are restricted. The servers are filling up and it seems they cap races to prevent either side from becoming unbalanced since the game becomes massive PVP in the end game.
wat

kerovick
Squire
Squire

Unread post by kerovick » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:23 am

If my video card would stop being an asshole I could actually play.

Hapkido Warrior
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: bpoch
Alt. Name: bpoch

Unread post by Hapkido Warrior » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:08 am

Sailed on Scotters boat last night

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Nephron » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 am

We sailed across the 7 deserts. lolz.
wat

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Server queues are mostly gone now. So check it out if the queues scared you away because you're a whiny bitch.

Nephron, Hapkido, Oglupin, Ullom, Nickabsinthe and myself all play. So, join us.

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop
PSN: Radiae
Alt. Name: Corey

Unread post by Zathu » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Tried getting this working today through Steam streaming but doesn't work. It looks like the game wants run as Administrator which Steam can't capture.

A Korean developed / Chinese published game running with Administrator privileges. D:
Does this happen to your game's process?

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Zathu wrote:Tried getting this working today through Steam streaming but doesn't work. It looks like the game wants run as Administrator which Steam can't capture.

A Korean developed / Chinese published game running with Administrator privileges. D:
Does this happen to your game's process?
Yes. Because it writes to c:\archeage for config and screenshots and uses program files and program data.

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Zathu » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:56 pm

No way - the installer could have set permissions in the file system and not needed admin to write there.

Upon further review it appears that the game's anti-cheat protection "HackShield" installs a kernel driver labeled Eagle64 in device manager to monitor low-level system activity and presumably protect the Archage game's process. This is also how malicious rootkits work. Fuuuck that. No way I'm letting a freemium Asian game have root access to my machine.

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Nephron » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:26 pm

wat

Jeffro
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: Sorry, Not gay
PSN: Sorry, Not gay
Alt. Name: Jeffromart

Unread post by Jeffro » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:28 am

Zathu wrote:No way - the installer could have set permissions in the file system and not needed admin to write there.

Upon further review it appears that the game's anti-cheat protection "HackShield" installs a kernel driver labeled Eagle64 in device manager to monitor low-level system activity and presumably protect the Archage game's process. This is also how malicious rootkits work. Fuuuck that. No way I'm letting a freemium Asian game have root access to my machine.
Ya, fuck that...trash
Reliable Hosting Services, LLC
Affordable Co-Location, Dedicated Servers and VPS Solutions
http://www.reliablehostingservices.net
(888) 693-8309

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 pm

No way, a game has anti-cheat? I'm sure you have Punkbuster installed, but all the sudden HackShield is taboo?

Not defending, it is dumb. I agree, they should not need admin rights.

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Zathu » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Punkbuster has been removed from just about everything except Battlefield games at this point. Before it went away, it at least ran a service for games to proxy through so that they didn't have to run as administrator. Many Steam games use VAC now, which I trust through trusting Valve. I don't have incentive to trust HackShield when it's run out of South Korea by an organization I'm not familiar with.

Spotted this interesting article of Trion defending Hackshield but acknowledging it isn't great.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/10/07 ... ackshield/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeffro
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: Sorry, Not gay
PSN: Sorry, Not gay
Alt. Name: Jeffromart

Unread post by Jeffro » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:58 pm

Lanarchy wrote:No way, a game has anti-cheat? I'm sure you have Punkbuster installed, but all the sudden HackShield is taboo?
Sure, games have anti-cheat all the time, but this is the main problem I would see:

"installs a kernel driver labeled Eagle64 in device manager to monitor low-level system activity and presumably protect the Archage game's process"

Who the hell requires something like this for anti-cheat? LOL
Reliable Hosting Services, LLC
Affordable Co-Location, Dedicated Servers and VPS Solutions
http://www.reliablehostingservices.net
(888) 693-8309

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:00 pm

PunkBuster does not allow Windows users without administrative accounts to connect to any games.
Punkbuster's requirea admin, scans your whole file system and RAM, but nobody is getting their panties in a bunch about it.

HackShield was also widely used in Aion, the MMO, as well. And HackShield has been removed from Aion as well.

You have Skype on the computer, it spies on you. You have PunkBuster installed from an old game, it spies on you. Steam even scans your filesystem and RAM. If anything, I trust South Korea more than MURICA companies to not spy on me.