SteamOS

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron
XBL: Kardon74
Alt. Name: Kardon74

SteamOS

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:41 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight
XBL: Blacktwin
PSN: Greentwin

Re: SteamOS

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 pm

In-home streaming will be cool on small form factor PCs or HTPCs. But they will need to have XBMC and PLEX before I would consider wiping Win7 on my HTPC. Also some games don't play well with a gamepad soooooo then what is the point??

OS sounds cool if it can be a gaming PC Windows replacement too.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop
PSN: Radiae
Alt. Name: Corey

Unread post by Zathu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:56 am

I'm excited. My hope for the streaming feature is that they have keyboard and mouse support. I've experimented with a number of different streaming solutions but they all depend on a gamepad configuration.

My plan is to dual boot my HTPC as soon as I can get my hands on it. If they work out Netflix support and someone gets Plex running I'll make a full switch.

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: IC Nephron
PSN: NepHron-

Unread post by Nephron » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:55 am

Here is an article from Dailytech on this
http://www.dailytech.com/Meet+Steam+OS+ ... e33432.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comments are on fire. I was hoping this would effectively *replace* Windows. Meh. Title is a bit misleading.
wat

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:06 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

New update. Basically hardware for SteamOS with BETA testing for Steam community members. 300 total test units, 30 going to valued community members and the rest are going out at random.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Nephron wrote:Here is an article from Dailytech on this
http://www.dailytech.com/Meet+Steam+OS+ ... e33432.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comments are on fire. I was hoping this would effectively *replace* Windows. Meh. Title is a bit misleading.
Yea, the fanboys are claiming this to be a Windows killer. Buuuuuuuut, that's not the immediate goal of this. Valve seems to be pushing for more of a Living Room machine, like a console. It will of course help, by making developers think about porting to linux. But this is in no way a Windows replacement.

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by tyrelie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Great things come from small beginnings and all that. Really I'd prefer one over a console. But with their intended audience (I assume it's aimed at carving out a piece of the console pie?). It's all about price point and ease of use. Can I take it home, take 10 minutes to set it up, and then play myself stupid on all the latest and greatest IP? I guess we'll see.
"Real badasses eat chocolate chip cookies, I'ma gonna get that tattooed across my back in Old English font"

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Zathu » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:06 am

It sounds like they'll be supporting tiered configurations from OEMs. For $100, you may get a box that's a little embedded thing capable of streaming all your desktop games into your living room. For $300, you may get a console-type box that's capable of running all of the Linux steam games. Then for whatever market value is higher than that, you can get some full stocked thing that's up to the imagination of the OEM.

I just want the SteamOS code so I can work the streaming into my existing hardware. They say it will be available 'soon'..

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:46 am

Next announcement is today. If they do the tiered hardware they would need to make everything up-gradable into the next tier as they have stated the hardware will be "open" and customizable.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Zathu » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:11 am

I'm sure some of it will be but I'll bet you there's going to be some lower end stuff licensed that's limited by real hardware limits (E.G. ARM systems, form factor).

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:55 pm

This is unique, cool, and I can't wait to see how it pans out overall.

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Zathu » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:20 am

I'm curious as well. People have hated trackpads for gaming forever, but could be cool when re-imagined like this.

Maxim
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Maxim » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:07 pm

The way I currently have my HTPC set up is with XBMC, and Steam as an application that XBMC can execute. I do my media streaming and movie/show watching in XBMC, and then load Steam and play some games. SteamOS will allow the same functionality but in reverse, allowing XBMC to be launched by Steam.

I had to do some configuration to get the X360 pad working the way I wanted, but beyond that it was just regular Linux configuration (auto starting applications, setting resolution, etc).

It should be fairly easy for Valve to control the performance of the OS on licensed boxes because they'll be able to validate functionality of the core systems, and make sure that it's going to handle resolution changes, and audio configurations, and all the other things that make configuring a Linux system kind of a pain. Put an interface on it, and it'll be a breeze for users to pull the system out of the box, turn it on, and start playing some games.

The SteamOS is interesting, and is a given that I'd use it, along with a Steam Machine, but the really interesting thing is that controller. It's on the verge of bizarre in appearance, but I would like to see how it plays. It's an interesting idea with two touch D-pads, and no thumb sticks.

I've played with a touch d-pad before and it felt weird without any tactile feedback:

Hopefully, the Steam Controller will have a better fate. There is nearly 20 years of technological advances between then and now. That will probably make a large difference.

I will say that there is a lot of talk about the Steam Controller being just as good if not better than a mouse+keyboard, which is an outright absurdity. Controllers are best for some games, mouse + keyboard are best for others, don't try to cross the divide.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:47 pm

One of the cool things about the controller is that there is a touch screen in the center that the game dev will be able to add custom buttons and controls for their game. To have your game inventory or friends list available on the touch screen would be pretty neat. Also the haptic feedback design uses electro-magnets that will be able to play audio waveforms and function as speakers. Cool stuff.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire