Star Wars The Old Republic

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: IC Nephron
PSN: NepHron-

Re: Star Wars The Old Republic

Unread post by Nephron » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm

I've put about 10 hours into this game this weekend. I can't really describe it with anything other than, meh.

The quests are alright, the voice acting is good - but I really don't care about that in a MMO. The graphics are terrible, it looks quite dated, comparable to City of Heroes.

The game is just absurdly easy. I'm playing a Sith Inquisitor > Sorceror. I can CC, kill anything, heal myself, and I have a pretty powerful tank like companion all the time. I'm evil as can be in every interaction with NPCs and it really doesn't seem to affect the outcome of anything. I was really hoping for some game changing dynamics for being evil, similar to what was found in KOTOR. Newp.

Rift is a pretty easy choice for me over this game and besides, I already have some subscription time banked. Rift just pulled me in game wise, The old republic just felt like a tire old chore.

I'm pretty disappointed since I really got sucked into the hype on this one.
wat

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron
XBL: Kardon74
Alt. Name: Kardon74

Unread post by Lanarchy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Nephron - what level are you?
I think most of the gameplay issues, not the graphics, will be better at higher levels and normalize after the first few planets.
Your opinion pretty much is the same as everyone else who plays, myself included on some of the isssues - mostly the difficulty, but it's hard to judge an entire MMO with just limited, low-level, early content that you're meant to blow through anyway.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight
XBL: Blacktwin
PSN: Greentwin

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:02 pm

I think that the graphics are awesome. The face models and conversation animations are great. The voice acting is awesome too. The game runs smooth.

I am a Jedi Knight and I kill everything. I feel way overpowered, health plays no factor in any battles. The combat feels different than WOW but then again I haven't played WOW or a MMO for awhile. The different is good once I got used to it.

The group conversations are cool too. This game didn't feel like KOTR until I was in a conversation that gave me the option to affect the world, although like Nephron said I don't think it really made a difference.

I like the game but I don't like to pay monthly for it. So I'll wait and think about it.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:33 pm

NDA has basically been lifted, prepare for a large influx of information from all your favorite gaming sites.

Fun tips for release

Update your video drivers
You get your ship Level ~10-12 depending on how fast you complete quests
You get out of combat perma-sprint at level 15
Ground speeders (mounts) at level 25 that cost 40,000 credits

And, yes, I realize I'm probably the only one playing this game at release, so I'll try not to spam the thread as much.

Old Info

If you were in Nov 11-13 beta, you can keep your character in the next beta weekend Nov 25-28
https://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw/status/1 ... 5456706560
Another FAQ: those who played in the Nov 11-13 weekend, and general testers, will keep their characters for the upcoming #SWTOR weekend.
Some color crystals depend on your alignment
In the newest builds you can not use a red color crystal in your weapon, lightsaber or blaster, unless you are neutral or dark. Likewise for green and blue, you have to be neutral or good alignment to use them.
Legacy system
http://forum.alterswtor.com/index.php?/ ... w-in-game/
According to the Beta Forums the Legacy system is now in game.

It is a tab your skill trees window

It can be accessed after finishing act 1 of your story

Right now it gives you access to a Surname that is attached to all your alts

It also says more benefits to come later.

Open world, FFA PvP zone and kill-able vendor
Open world, FFA PvP, this one will catch your eye Nephron

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swto ... mpressions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
During Gabe Amatangelo’s presentation at the Fan Site Summit, BioWare revealed a new open world PVP area. Normally this would not be huge news, but what Outlaw’s Den entails is news indeed. Outlaw’s Den is Star Wars: The Old Republic’s first Guild versus Guild, Free for All, Open World PVP area. To find out everything you need to know about this exciting and altogether new area, hit the jump.

Gabe Amatangelo began the presentation by explaining the broad idea behind Outlaw’s Den. Outlaw’s Den is an Open World, Free for All PVP area on Tatooine where Guilds and other random players can congregate and attempt to best each other in a neutral, segregated area. To reach the area, players will travel to a remote location on Tatooine nestled between the planet’s mesas and canyons. Once players reach this area, they will dismount and encounter banners warning them of the trouble ahead. Inside, players of both factions will find conveniently placed obstacles that break line of sight: a large building containing a Galactic Market Kiosk, a vendor, high ground and a pit for small groups to combat each other.

Gabe mentioned that players can group into parties up to the Operation Group size limit, which is currently 24. These parties or Operation Groups can then battle it out in this nice, purposefully designed area away from the major cities. It will offer guilds and websites an opportunity to plan PVP events. The most important part of all of this would normally be the rewards for participating in this type of area. Outlaw’s Den does offer rewards, but not in the traditional sense.

During the resulting Q&A, Gabe cautioned players that they cannot gain rewards from the area when it comes to Valor and Commendations, due to potential exploitation. However, random chests that litter the area contain credits and Mercenary Commendations. These chests respawn over time and appear in random locations throughout the area. Crafters will also have a reason to visit, as the area contains valuable resources that players can collect via their gathering Crew Skills. Gabe did not mention if BioWare accelerated the respawn rate of these collectables in comparison to the rest of the world content. If we were to guess, based on this information, it might be a good idea for a guild to capture and hold the area since it includes valuable resources, random chests and a Galactic Market Kiosk within close proximity to each other.

Oh…and then there’s that vendor.

Located at the rear of Outlaw’s Den is a Gamorrean trader with items and gear available in exchange for Commendations. Players can acquire much of what he sells at other locations. However, he does carry specialty items of a cosmetic nature for players concerned about the look of their characters and Commendations to burn. There is one last thing about this Gamorrean – he enjoys his alcohol and is quite territorial about it. Anyone attempting to take or drink his alcohol will meet his blade. In Gabe’s case, the Inquisitor died in two swipes. Gabe did mention that players can kill him, and encouraged them to do so, as he drops some nice stuff. Gabe also added that when players kill the Gamorrean, he will respawn, but it will take a while. Gabe made no mention of exactly how long it would take for him to reappear or what impact the instancing of zones will have on the vendor.
In WoW terms, this is like Winterhold but FFA like Gurubashi Arena, and an area larger than either of them.

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by tyrelie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Blacktwin wrote:I think that the graphics are awesome. The face models and conversation animations are great. The voice acting is awesome too. The game runs smooth.

I am a Jedi Knight and I kill everything. I feel way overpowered, health plays no factor in any battles. The combat feels different than WOW but then again I haven't played WOW or a MMO for awhile. The different is good once I got used to it.

The group conversations are cool too. This game didn't feel like KOTR until I was in a conversation that gave me the option to affect the world, although like Nephron said I don't think it really made a difference.

I like the game but I don't like to pay monthly for it. So I'll wait and think about it.

Agreed, I'm a smuggler/duelist, got to run the first dungeon and it was a lot of fun. Combat is like wow on crack, there is no parking your ass in a spot and casting away, you're always moving and combat goes at about 3x the speed of wow. It's a litte funky to get use to but when you get it you're gold.

Group conversations for points is a great touch.

But i'm in the same boat, I don't know if I want to start another MMO. But if i did, I'd reach for this one over any other.
"Real badasses eat chocolate chip cookies, I'ma gonna get that tattooed across my back in Old English font"

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:38 am

You can now begin downloading the new beta client for this weekend's test.

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by tyrelie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:56 am

This time around I took the sith for a test drive. I gotta say their story lines are far more entertaining. I went with a Warrior Juggernaut.

I lol every time I get to use the shock collar for my slave companion :)
"Real badasses eat chocolate chip cookies, I'ma gonna get that tattooed across my back in Old English font"

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:42 pm

This weekend I got farther than I have the previous weekends. I got up to level 22 on the 3rd planet about ready to leave for the 4th. There are far more Strong and Elite class enemies. On the third planet, almost every pack of mobs had a strong in it, which upped the difficulty.

The mobs got harder, and I was able to unlock the light/dark side gear (it is almost 100% cosmetic), I tried the second flashpoint which you would die without a healer as opposed to the ~level 10 where you don't need a healer and I was able to reverse engineer and craft my first purple item.

Most of the low level concerns people have had, no difficulty, small planets, light/dark doesn't mean anything... all started to go away at higher levels.

Hapkido Warrior
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: bpoch
Alt. Name: bpoch

Unread post by Hapkido Warrior » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:49 pm

I didn't get a chance to play this weekend, too much going on.

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:02 pm

I am on the server 'Canderous Ordo'
When/if you play, join that server.

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:33 pm

TL:DR - To read people rage, QQ and threaten to sue over a pre-release of a game -> click http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SWTOR comes out next Tuesday the 20th, but they opened early access starting today since it's a BAD idea to let approx 1 million people join the servers at one time. The order you get in is based on when you entered your pre-order code into the website. Everyone who did not get in on day 1 is spamming the forums, threatening to sue, trolling and MASSIVE QQ. It's actually pretty funny to read. The community is worse than the WoW community. It's almost all trolls, and they are the most self-centered, entitled community ever. That being said, the trolls will not subscribe to the game, and will go away eventually.

But, in the mean time, it makes for good reading!

Here are some gems
35 Years of age, lawyer since 10 years back.
Taking in concern
-Marketing
-Pre-order
And the millions they made on a lie.
I'd rather watch a queue timer click down from 20 hours of wait time, then sit around like an idiot with a big question mark over my head due to Bioware deciding my time is not important enough to tell me when I may get in.
And my favorite
Hey bioware ea I want my money back I bought this game to play with my friends, 5 are in game right now and im sitting here doing nothing because your launch was BS.

I took the day off to play this now not only do I want my money back but you should pay me for the hours im missing today you HORRIBLE company.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight
XBL: Blacktwin
PSN: Greentwin

Unread post by Blacktwin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Wow...... :?:
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Game is good, I like it still. Just crossed the 40 hours played mark. Still suggest the game to anyone who wants a new MMO.

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Game's now been out a week. I am still having fun with the game, and ever class story is very engaging. I find myself getting frustrated at the 'bad guys' in your story, and liking and going out of my way to save the ones you're supposed to like and be attached to.

I suggest the game to anyone looking for another MMO to occupy their time, or anyone who likes Mass Effect style story-telling. I've gotten to max level with 2 weeks off of work; just for reference on how long it takes to reach max level. The game does get much harder than the initial levels, and there is a nice variety in your companions once you get past the first one. The servers are not very over-loaded. I've had ~5 minute queue time to get on, and that was the week of launch, in prime-time. Overall, a good game for being just launched.
That being said, there are still a few bugs that affect people. The 'high-res' textures and anti-aliasing are still not enabled in the game engine. So, yes, the graphics do look sub-par. As for gameplay, there are a few quests that are bugged but they can usually be dropped and restarted without issues. Overall, I feel as if there are less issues than on the launch week of any other MMO that I have played.

The bugs are annoying, and the graphics are lacking, but IMO not game-breaking and the dev team have acknowledged that they are working on those issues.. I just subscribed for 6 months, and I suggest it to anyone. The story is great, and the game will only get better with time.

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:07 am

First content patch released today. Patch 1.1 includes one new operation (8+16-man), one new flashpoint (4-man) which vastly expands and gives a new tier of difficulty to end-game.

I'm still enjoying end-game, as well as leveling new alts. The Story-telling is great, I like the voiced quests much better than the normal text ones that other games give. Still recommended for people that like story-telling games like Mass Effect, Star Wars, or MMOs.