3DS & Vita?

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop
PSN: Radiae
Alt. Name: Corey

3DS & Vita?

Unread post by Zathu » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Lately I've been considering the idea of getting a 3DS (regular or XL) or Vita to get into some handheld gaming that's a little more polished than Android games. Do you guys have either, or both, and have any thoughts?

I kind of like the idea of the more casual/Nintendo branded 3DS games, and it seems the Vita games try to be more like full-fledge titles which I'd rather play on a PC anyway.. but some of those exclusives like Uncharted look neat.

Related points:
-I hate FPSes on controllers (would be playing RPG/Adventure games)
-I don't own any consoles

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Re: 3DS & Vita?

Unread post by tyrelie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Neither.

Get a Gen 1 PSP. Huge Library of good cheap games, system will run you well under 100 used. Modding community has it open like a dock side whore on pay day.

Otherwise I'd say 3DS. I considered getting a Vita, then went and looked at the top rated games during Christmas and it was a pretty pathetic showing and it's only getting worse. Sony just dropped the 3G package by $100, that should tell you something.
"Real badasses eat chocolate chip cookies, I'ma gonna get that tattooed across my back in Old English font"

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight
XBL: Blacktwin
PSN: Greentwin

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:11 am

With Nintendo you get Mario games too. Those are always fun for the 5 minute that you might play while waiting for something.

I love my Android and the games that are on it but I never play games on it. I don't know what it is. The GTA games are great and look great but the on screen controls kill it. I think that is with most Android games too, the on-screen controls.

Also I never find myself needing or really wanting to play a game on my phone. On an airplane sure but waiting in line for my hair cut... I'd rather reddit or read some blog or book. But even then I rarely interact with my phone in public space. I still find it hard to put my nose to my phone and show everyone around me "Don't talk to me, I'm clearly too busy." But then again I used to think that text messaging was an anti-social disconnected form of communication (what?).

3DS LX. My nephew has the 3DS and wishes it was the LX. They have some really silly downloadable games that are funny.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop
PSN: Radiae
Alt. Name: Corey

Unread post by Zathu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Blacktwin wrote:With Nintendo you get Mario games too. Those are always fun for the 5 minute that you might play while waiting for something.
Yeah that's part of it. Mostly just to have a way to pass the time while the wife's watching something on TV that I'm passively into and the nintendo games are good for that. I don't think I'd play it outside of the house much. Also thought about a Wii U since that gamepad works on it's on within the house.
Blacktwin wrote:I love my Android and the games that are on it but I never play games on it. I don't know what it is. The GTA games are great and look great but the on screen controls kill it. I think that is with most Android games too, the on-screen controls.
Yep this is where I am too. My moga and PS3 controller allow me to have decent controls, but I can't just pick the device and put it down naturally without fussing with the physical attachment and the bluetooth connection.
tyrelie wrote:Get a Gen 1 PSP.
This is an interesting idea that I'll consider.. would at least allow me to emulation on a device that's a bit more dedicated than my phone/tablet.

Kind of feeling nostalgic for my GBA RPGs lately. I may just keep trying to catch up on things I've missed like Chrono Trigger, FF, Link to the Past, and Golden Sun via Android emulation.

Maxim
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Maxim » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:50 pm

My vote is for Nintentdo. They've owned the portables market since it was a thing. You're going to have the widest selection of games to play with.
Zathu wrote:Kind of feeling nostalgic for my GBA RPGs lately. I may just keep trying to catch up on things I've missed like Chrono Trigger, FF, Link to the Past, and Golden Sun via Android emulation.
If I understand this correctly, you haven't experienced Chrono Trigger? This is unfortunate. If the same is for FF, definitely check out Final Fantasy 2 & 3. You can also get 4/5/6 but I haven't played them (but heard they're good). SNES was definitely king of that era. I like playing my RPGs on a TV screen because of my SNES days, but a Gameboy is definitely a close second.

I definitely wouldn't get a Sony anything unless I can mod it, and from what tyrelie is saying, it sounds promising.

I miss the days of riding in the car playing games while someone else did all the driving. Gone are those care free days, just like the sun light needed to see the god damn screen.

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: IC Nephron
PSN: NepHron-

Unread post by Nephron » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, I'll get you my Nintendo Power and you'll be good to go.
wat

Jabooboo
Serf
Serf
Alt. Name: Jj

Unread post by Jabooboo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:01 pm

I have a Nintendo 3DS and I love it for so many reason but It also has it's issues. For starters I like that it's portable and I can game literally anywhere. On the down side the 3DS XL doesn't fit in my pants pocket forcing me to stash it in my jacket pocket. I also love that it makes you more inclined to travel with it and meet new people; with specific games meeting new people with 3DS's will help you progress through stories and other cool stuff. The Nintendo 3DS is literally for everybody, you can't go wrong!

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by tyrelie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:07 am

Interestingly enough I had a stockpile of gamestop gift cards from Christmas and picked up a 2DS (3DSs much cheaper sibling). I like it so far. Playing Fire Emblem and waiting for Default Bravely (played the demo. It truly is the spiritual successor the the 8/16bit Final Fantasy series). You also have a few editions to the Persona series if you go the Nintendo rout.

Though, if you wanted to go the Nintendo rout and you had the $$ I'd say get a standard 3DS. Better ergonomics and larger touch screen.

R4 cards can be purchased to do custom software but to what extent I don't know as I haven't looked into it that much yet.
"Real badasses eat chocolate chip cookies, I'ma gonna get that tattooed across my back in Old English font"