Anything tech, or tech news
Lanarchy
Baron
Baron
XBL: Kardon74
Alt. Name: Kardon74

Windows 10 free

Unread post by Lanarchy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 pm

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... indows-10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight
XBL: Blacktwin
PSN: Greentwin

Re: Windows 10 free

Unread post by Blacktwin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:36 am

Interesting. This is for Upgrades only? I wonder what the price for fresh Installs will be.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: IC Nephron
PSN: NepHron-

Unread post by Nephron » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:52 pm

I wonder what happens when its applied to a discount copy.
wat

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 am

Nephron wrote:I wonder what happens when its applied to a discount copy.
That is what I was wondering too. Will wait to see how the release goes.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by tyrelie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:48 am

Having access to their Education program I should get access to a beta of some sort before too long.

We're transitioning our teachers and staff to Win8 this summer. I can feel the hate grow by the hour.. Personally I dunna mind it in the least.
"Real badasses eat chocolate chip cookies, I'ma gonna get that tattooed across my back in Old English font"

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by tyrelie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:12 pm

We've been playing with the Win 10 beta at work. It's kind of a mess.. Three of us tried it and we all rolled back immediately. Luckily rolling back is a quick and painless process.

It's all I/O errors and compatibility issues so far. I'll give it a rev or two and try again.
"Real badasses eat chocolate chip cookies, I'ma gonna get that tattooed across my back in Old English font"

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:26 pm

I tried the first preview build in a VM. Everything worked but missing lots of features. This newest preview build started up but paused at Setting up Windows screen in the VM. Using a VM may not be the best way to see whats new but I'm not willing to risk it on my daily. A co-worker installed it on his home PC and was really impressed. So we'll see.

Definitely interested in the DX12.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop
PSN: Radiae
Alt. Name: Corey

Unread post by Zathu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:02 pm

tyrelie wrote:We've been playing with the Win 10 beta at work. It's kind of a mess.. Three of us tried it and we all rolled back immediately. Luckily rolling back is a quick and painless process.

It's all I/O errors and compatibility issues so far. I'll give it a rev or two and try again.
Is this a rollback mechanism within Win10 itself? Or you did a disk snapshot?

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by tyrelie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Part of Win 10 tech preview.

tyrelie
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by tyrelie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:49 pm

Didn't blow my mind either, I've not heard of anyone taking advantage of DX12 yet either so, meh, for now.

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:25 am

Windows 10 is rolling out. If your loved ones, strangers, ex-co workers or relatives you forgot you had start asking for computer help, it might be Windows 10

It also spies on literally everything you do, so if you're pivacy conscious, you might not want to update.

DirectX12 is Windows 10 exclusive, so that's a perk of updating.

Windows Updates are P2P and you share updates by default. Handy if you're sharing on the LAN, but be sure to disable the internet sharing part Image

(click to enlarge)

Here's an overly unnecessary anti-piracy propoganda poster Image

(click to enlarge)

Maxim
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Maxim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Lanarchy wrote:Windows 10 is rolling out. If your loved ones, strangers, ex-co workers or relatives you forgot you had start asking for computer help, it might be Windows 10

It also spies on literally everything you do, so if you're pivacy conscious, you might not want to update.

DirectX12 is Windows 10 exclusive, so that's a perk of updating.

Windows Updates are P2P and you share updates by default. Handy if you're sharing on the LAN, but be sure to disable the internet sharing part Image

(click to enlarge)

Here's an overly unnecessary anti-piracy propoganda poster Image

(click to enlarge)

Holy shit, no thanks. I'll stick with Linux.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 am

I would really like to install Linux as my main but there are too many games that would be unplayable if I did. Hell they just ported Shadows of Mordor to Linux. Times be a changing. If they can get DayZ to Linux I might do it but there are a couple other guilty pleasure games like Smite that I would miss. I've got Win10 at work and so far it isn't all that bad. Just need to get used to the all the new menu placement and UI. Apparently cracked windows 7/8 take the upgrade fine too.

I've been thinking about upgrading just for DX12 when it finally gets games that support it.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:15 am

Yea, I agree. Once I can 90%+ game on Linux I'll make the full switch. But for games, I gotta stay win7