Chromebook recommendations

Anything tech, or tech news
kerovick
Squire
Squire

Chromebook recommendations

Unread post by kerovick » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:51 pm

Looking to buy a Chromebook and wanted to see what the peanut gallery had to say about them. I know several of you have them. It will be used for basic internet shit but it would be nice to play steam games. I've been looking at this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-13-Inc ... chromebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The price point is exactly right. Any opinions?

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight
XBL: Blacktwin
PSN: Greentwin

Re: Chromebook recommendations

Unread post by Blacktwin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:51 pm

I have the Acer 720 with 4GB. It is wonderful. I got it has a refurb. For basic internet stuff you'll be fine with any CB. For playing steam games you'll need one that has am Intel CPU, which your linked CB does. To be able to play steam games you'll need to install Linux via Crouton or a dual boot method called chrubuntu.

I've been using the Crouton method for a while it's been great. They've been working on a way to have the chroot environment be used in a window in chrome OS vs. having it accessible through a virtual terminal.

You might also want to look at whether or not the CB is upgradeable (RAM, SSD). I hear that the 2GB version are enough for anything. CB don't usually have a lot of space at stock so having the option to upgrade in the future might be a good idea. But what are you really storing offline with a CB? Steam games? You could use a SD card, if the CB has one.

TLDR: For internet consumption CBs are great, light weight and portable. There a lot of options to consider. They can do more than you think they can, but it takes some doing.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

kerovick
Squire
Squire

Unread post by kerovick » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Right on, Pulled the trigger. Twill be here Saturday :-)

kerovick
Squire
Squire

Unread post by kerovick » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:11 pm

Got it today and have been exploring since noon. They apparently got the windowed Linux to work but I haven't found a guide to install it yet. I did install Linux on it but was unable to get steam to work. I'm sure I did something wrong.

So Far I am very pleased with it. Very fast and will be a good toy to have. One thing I was surprised about is how good the speakers are.

The battery life is also ridiculous. It's been on for 5 hours and is at 75% charge.

So what cool tricks can I do with this?

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop
PSN: Radiae
Alt. Name: Corey

Unread post by Zathu » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:29 am

I use a HP Chromebook 14 which is a champ. Once you get Steam installed and running, add the following to crouton's /usr/local/bin/start* script (replace * with whatever DE you installed; gnome, unity, etc).

Code: Select all

iptables -F
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

find /dev/input/by-path/ -name '*event-joystick' -exec chmod +rw {} \;
This will open up the firewall to allow for in-home streaming and set permissions on gamepads to be userspace frendly in the chroot. I tried all of the recommended ports and could only get it to work by accepting everything. It only stays open until you reboot and run the script again, though.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:20 pm

To add the "windowed mode" for the chroot you need to update your chroot with the "xiwi,extension" targets. So:

sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton -u -n <name-of-chroot> -t xiwi,extension

*trusty* being whatever chroot you are running.

When using the "windowed mode" hardware acceleration is disabled so videos and gaming with be terrible.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

kerovick
Squire
Squire

Unread post by kerovick » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:35 pm

The only reason I was trying to do the window mode is for running steam games. Didn't realize it wasn't worth the effort. Thank for the heads up. What is the preffered Linux disto?

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:36 am

I'm using Ubuntu. That's at least what Crouton is based on or was build around. I think you can get Debian with crouton but anything else you'd need to wipe chromeos and just have linux.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

kerovick
Squire
Squire

Unread post by kerovick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:00 pm

I zapped it back to just the chrome OS. I got Ubuntu installed and steam installed but couldn't get any games to run.