Anything tech, or tech news
Lanarchy
Baron
Baron
XBL: Kardon74
Alt. Name: Kardon74

Xfinity 50megabit service

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon May 05, 2014 1:31 am

If you have Xfinity BLAST! 50 megabit service, you probably got upgraded to 105 megabit at no additional cost. Reboot your cable modem and try. I got the speed increase.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight
XBL: Blacktwin
PSN: Greentwin

Re: Xfinity 50megabit service

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon May 05, 2014 11:36 am

lol. I have that service but only get 32mb. They sold me a service that wasn't yet supported in our area. AWESOME!!
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Jeffro
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: Sorry, Not gay
PSN: Sorry, Not gay
Alt. Name: Jeffromart

Unread post by Jeffro » Mon May 05, 2014 11:42 am

You will be happy to know that they updated our MEGAblast 105 to MEGAblast 150 for no cost :)
Reliable Hosting Services, LLC
Affordable Co-Location, Dedicated Servers and VPS Solutions
http://www.reliablehostingservices.net
(888) 693-8309

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon May 05, 2014 12:36 pm

And comcast is rolling out free public Wifi from your router. So if you see an SSID of "xfinity" it could be coming from your router. They say you can opt out online or from a phone call.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop
XBL: IC Nephron
PSN: NepHron-

Unread post by Nephron » Mon May 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Blacktwin wrote:And comcast is rolling out free public Wifi from your router. So if you see an SSID of "xfinity" it could be coming from your router. They say you can opt out online or from a phone call.
I don't think that's exactly right. I connected to one of these over the weekend, I needed to sign in my with @comcast email address and password. The email address I never use but have to if I want to log into http://www.comcast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (not http://www.comcast.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) < Fuck that complicated shit btw. I'm assuming its for Comcast subscribers only.

Anyway, after signing in I was good to go, and it was fast.

I don't think Comcast would have the capability to get into my router and broadcast a new SSID. Maybe this is possible for the equipment that they lease to dumb people, but I own all my own gear. I'm sure ya'll do as well.
wat

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon May 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Correct you need to be a Comcast customer to use for free but you can also use it without and pay for minutes/data per use or have a block purchased. It does use the leased equipment, which I switched to using because the cost was the same after 2 years and I always get upgraded equipment when needed or available.

I received a letter in the mail about this but it hasn't been activated yet. Once it is I'll be disabling it ASAP. Fuck that shit. They can say it's secure all they want.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Mon May 05, 2014 4:28 pm

It is mostly on business lines with the business gateway. I don't think it affects personal accounts, but I'm not sure.

If you have your own modem and router, you are in no danger of getting a hotspot. And you do have to sign in or buy it, like Blacktwin said. These hotspots are becoming more common. I know RiteAid has them in (almost) every store.
Map -> http://hotspots.wifi.comcast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's even 3 of them on Pegasus Ct according to the map

Also, traffic on that hotspot does not count towards, nor does it use up your bandwidth.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Mon May 05, 2014 4:47 pm

It's for home account as well. Here is an older article. Yes, you have to have leased equipment too.

The best part of the letter was that a big portion of it was about how there is "no charge to you, the customer". No shit! There better not be. In fact I should receive reparations for opting in. For example, waive the leasing cost since I wouldn't be the only person using the equipment.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Nephron » Mon May 05, 2014 8:10 pm

lol one is broadcasted within range of my condo. Wonder what the speed is off these guys? Maybe I'll route some traffic thru it. ^_^
wat

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Nephron » Mon May 05, 2014 8:22 pm

No change in speed for me btw, still paying for 50 Mbps and getting 33ish.
wat

Zathu
Bishop
Bishop
PSN: Radiae
Alt. Name: Corey

Unread post by Zathu » Tue May 06, 2014 10:37 am

Lanarchy wrote:It is mostly on business lines with the business gateway. I don't think it affects personal accounts, but I'm not sure.
I thought it was the personal wifi gateways. AFAIK they only give out wired business gateways (I've had 3). Don't think they want the support liability of office wifi.

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Tue May 06, 2014 1:14 pm

Yeah Lanarchy isn't sure but still makes the claim as if he knows. I mean it's not like he received a letter from Comcast or anything.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire

Lanarchy
Baron
Baron

Unread post by Lanarchy » Tue May 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Blacktwin wrote:Yeah Lanarchy isn't sure but still makes the claim as if he knows. I mean it's not like he received a letter from Comcast or anything.
Nope, never got a letter. Or if I did, I didn't read it. And I don't have leased equipment.

Nephron
Bishop
Bishop

Unread post by Nephron » Thu May 08, 2014 10:53 am

Comcast just called me to tell me to reset my modem and I'll get 105 Mbps. Whoa. Comcast calling me to tell me good news and not to sell me something or give me bad news?

They just got a point.

That point will be swiftly discounted if I reset my modem again with no change, again. :D
wat

Blacktwin
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Blacktwin » Thu May 08, 2014 1:08 pm

They are trying to win over customers before they sell you off from the TWC deal. Or for all their Net neutrality shit.
Nice Pants.
[codes]Got them[/codes]
Inspire